Return to Sue's Recipes page
Sue Beno's Corn Relish
8 c. corn (fresh or frozen)
2 ½ c. Bragg Apple Cider vinegar
2 c. water
1 ¾ c. sugar
3 c. chopped celery - 6 stalks
4 tsp. dry mustard
1 ½ c. chopped red sweet peppers -2 medium
1. Remove husks from corn. Scrub with a stiff brush to remove silks; rinse. Cut kernels from the cob. Do not scrape the cobs. Measure 8 cups of kernels.
2. In an 8-10 quart stainless steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot, combine the 8 cups corn kernels and the 2 cups of water.
3. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 4-5 minutes or until corn is nearly tender; drain.
4. In the same pot, combine corn, celery, sweet peppers and onion.
5. Stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard, pickling salt, celery seeds, and turmeric.
6. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolved; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and the 3 tablespoons water.
8. Add cornstarch mixture to corn mixture.
9. Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly.
10. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
11. Ladle hot relish into hot sterilized pint canning jars.
12. Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. (start timing when the water returns to boiling)
13. Remove jars from the canner and cool on wire racks.
Makes about 5 pints.
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 ½ c chopped green sweet peppers - 2 medium
2 tsp. pickling salt
1 c. chopped onion - 1 large
2 tsp. celery seeds
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. water